WHAT DOES HOOSIER HILL FARM GLUTEN FREE PRODUCT MEAN?
Hoosier Hill Farm Gluten Free means the product is in compliance with all requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gluten-free labeling final rule published in August 2013 (78 FR 47154).
Therefore all Hoosier Hill Farm Gluten Free products will meet the following criteria:
1) The product is inherently gluten free,
2) The product must contain less than 20 parts per million (ppm) gluten.
Our packaging operation processes both Gluten-free and Gluten products, therefore we have established a standard operating procedure that minimizes the chances of cross contamination. Additionally, we test the processing surface areas and the product itself for traces of gluten and ensure that any presence of gluten is less than the FDA standard of 20 PPM (parts per million).
FDA guidelines state foods may be labeled “gluten free” if they meet the definition and otherwise comply with the rule’s requirements. More specifically, the final rule defines "gluten free" as meaning that the food either is inherently gluten free; or does not contain an ingredient that is: 1) a gluten containing grain (e.g., spelt wheat); 2) derived from a gluten containing grain that has not been processed to remove gluten (e.g., wheat flour); or 3) derived from a gluten containing grain that has been processed to remove gluten (e.g., wheat starch), if the use of that ingredient results in the presence of 20 parts per million (ppm) or more gluten in the food. Also, any unavoidable presence of gluten in the food must be less than 20 ppm.
In order for Hoosier Hill Farm to insure that its gluten free product is gluten free we perform the following steps as part of our Standard Operating Procedures regarding the labeling of Gluten Free products.
1) All product sources are required to be certified gluten free by our vendors. This certification is verified to ensure product, as received in our facility is free of gluten.
2) Prior to production or processing on the Hoosier Hill Farm equipment, the surface areas of the equipment is swab tested for traces of gluten. This test ensures that any potential gluten levels are lover than 20 PPM (parts per million), per FDA guidelines.
3) Once surface and prep areas are tested as gluten free we actually test the initial product to insure it is gluten-free as well.
This process combined with our elaborate Standard Operating Procedures for processing ensure that our products are handled in a way to ensure food safety, cleanliness, and help ensure there is no cross contamination.
Click here to view a .PDF of this statement
Thank you for choosing to be a Hoosier Hill Farm Customer !