Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese
- ½ cup Hoosier Hill Farm Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 16 oz dried elbow or shell macaroni
- ½ cup russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup water (preferably use liquid from pot of boiled veggies)
- ¾ cup raw cashews (soaked in water for 30 min)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 pinch paprika
Step one: Cook macaroni al dente, according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
Step two: Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot.
Step three: Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
Step four: When veggies are soft enough to blend, use a slotted spoon to remove them from cooking water, and place them in your blender.
Step five: Add 1 cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients (Nutritional yeast flakes, cashews, coconut milk, lemon juice, and seasonings). Blend until smooth.
Step six: Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles and stir. Place macaroni mixture in a baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, or until crumbs are turning golden brown.